Friday, September 28, 2007

Something unpredictable, but in the end it's right?

This is already rivaling Scav for the coveted title “Best Experience of My Life.” I can’t remember the last time I’ve felt this physically healthy, socially outgoing, and intellectual stimulated. The people are luminous beings. (I’m really regretting not getting out of the House more often last year.) Every night I see and do something new in this ancient place.

I’ve now been in Rome long enough to get hit with a bundle of contradictions. Before I set foot on this continent, I knew absolutely nothing about the Roman civilization. I mean, I knew all of the requisite “Jeopardy!” cursory knowledge (the major emperors, big still-standing stone objects and their locations), but I knew nothing about how the Romans lived, what they did, etc. If a group of ancient Romans came up to me, and in the course of conversation, used the phrase, “You know how we do” I would be forced to reply “FALSE.”

But now, after three days of class, I have a wealth of information about their habits, system of government, violent quirky legends, etc. that I never had before. I’ve never acquired so much information about a subject I knew absolutely nothing about in such a small time before. I am somewhat suffering from sensory overload at this point.

Additionally, I can feel myself getting better in Italian. I’ve had two conversations over AIM in Italian. IN ITALIAN. (This does not count the mundane daily talking in Italian that happens over the course of the day.)

I’m under budget by about two euros a day, which is amazing. I may be able to buy something nice if this keeps up.

Despite the incredibly inconvenient internet situation, I still managed to download the season premiere of Avatar, albeit three days late. This isn’t Rome-related, so I’ll hold off on my thoughts unless someone asks me directly.

5 comments:

Brekah said...

1st: How does this blog site know me? Creepy..

2nd: I'm so glad that Rome is overwhelming you in an amazing fashion! I hope I have as much fun in Korea when I go!

3rd (and the main point of my comment...): Avatar...thoughts?

Rachel B. said...

Woohoo I am in your Italy blog sort of.

Pranks said...

Bekah,
1st: It's your Gmail account.
2nd: When are you going to be in Korea?
3rd: EMAIL'D.

Stacy said...

That is GREAT that you are having so much fun being all ITALY and stuff.

Stacy said...

ps we miss you.