Monday, September 24, 2007

The River and the Beach

I really like how the Tiber slopes here.
SPQR is everywhere.
Graffiti declarations of love are fairly common. This one says, "Babi, I tell you in a soft voice...I love you." There is no word on how Babi feels about this.
Max and I saw someone filming a documentary on the Tiber. When asked, they said it was "un piccolo film." They made it clear that they did not need English-speaking extras. Painfully clear.

I like to think that somewhere in Rome, there is a naked businessman who left this behind.
Hey, stick stickly man! Whaaaat are you doing?
Una parca senza erbi.
Vittorio Emanuele is not on my Christmas card list. "Hey, guys, let's build a big dumb ostentatious monument to me that dwarfs much cooler stuff nearby!" What a chump.
Still not impressed.

So that's it for Saturday. On Sunday, we went on an excursion to the beach. I swam in the Mediterranean! Unfortunately, it was pretty difficult finding a public, free beach. We had to take a train and two buses. But it was kind of worth it. For me, anyway. The others didn't even get into the water. I was all, "Water you doing?"

I like the symmetry of this picture.
At this point, the Italians stopped us and said we had to pay to go any further. I took a picture in frustration.
Us.
We made it! But no one was in the water?
To the Max.

My first day of class is (was) today. Redfield is really old, but he's a very good lecturer. I have my first Italian class in a few minutes. Ciao until then. (I'll try to cool it with the pictures from now on.)

1 comment:

Rachel B. said...

Did Max tell you about his friend with the SPQR tattoo?