Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Does Whatever The Romans Can

Professor James Redfield is a certified bad-ass. One of the most respected teachers in his field, he's one of the only lecturers who can hold my attention for two consecutive hours. My goal is to do ALL of the reading -- something that's not only optional, but pretty difficult. I think I've gotten off to an excellent start in both classes.

Redfield told us the U of C operated much like the late Roman Republic. This was pretty entertaining, as Rome's government failed to work unless there was an external threat to the city. Basically, both the U of C and Rome lacked unitary command at ANY level, so consensus-building among the autonomous bureaucratic bodies was/is next-to-impossible.

In other news, I went to this exhibit. It featured not only art, but historic comic covers/costumes several giant statues of him, and an amazing (ouch) walk through Peter's history in Italian. I actually understood most of it!

I went to the Coliseum. It was colossal. (I'm actually really excited about it, but without pictures it's tough to rave.)

So basically, I am having an amazing time in every possible way.

No comments: